.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

 

Hot Hat Yai, Kool Kuraburi

The visit to Hat Yai was fantastic...not so much because of Hat Yai but because of that special gal living there! While we are both really loving our personal endeavors, it is clear that we are much more whole when together. O.K., enough of the mooshy stuff.

Hat Yai was also quite fun as I got to visit with the people that take good care of Em. My first night there we went out...not talking about the going out Kuraburi-style sitting under a bamboo thatched roof at the only establishment that does not blare Karaoke. I'm talking about actual bars and do I dare say clubs. The first bar boasted 20' walls of glass with the latest Hollywood and Thai celebrities on large posters hanging from the ceiling. The food, drink, and atmosphere was great but I was a little spooked when one of the three bathroom attendants immediately started massaging my shoulders as I was trying to take a leak. After finally getting him to stop, I was able to relax enough to do what I intended. The next place was even swankier (and no bathroom attendants) with live music and a bar that glowed! Pitt and P Noot do a great job of inviting Em everywhere and it was real clear that this is not just out of courtesy but they really enjoy Em's company.

Besides those festivities, I relished in the luxuries of Em's city apartment. Just a twenty minute walk from the city center, it is only two minutes from markets and full-time vendors offering anything you want (fruit, baked goods, sweets, various Thai dishes, etc). More important than its location, is the comfort to be found inside the apartment. I basked in the A/C, granite tiled bathroom, and technological luxuries such as full-time internet and music! We even picked up a borrowed TV and DVD player towards the end of my stay.

I got back to Kuraburi Sunday evening and sure enough, the crew was celebrating the visit of an old volunteer by throwing a dinner party at Tu's place. It was great to hear comical stories of the last week and more progress with our current programs. For the latest and greatest at NATR, check out the recent update. The next day we spent a lot of time visiting Bret in the hospital as he contracted the weakest strand of Malaria (not to worry, he is real sure he caught it hiking in Cambodia, not cute-little Kuraburi). That evening a few of us hung out on Jo's (neighboring bungalow's) deck listenting to music and playing with cicadas. These large insects are crazy with their sounds!

Yesterday evening I jumped on a bicycle and had a great adventure in the foothills southeast of town. Admiring the crazy oranges and pinks illuminating different portions of the sky (a common evening skyscape here), I cycled through small villages exchanging consistent "Hellos" and "Sawadee kraps." I was hoping to somehow make a loop back above my bungalow, but darkness made me take the known (backtrack) route home. It turns out there is no connection as this road just keeps going deeper inland servicing small villages. Besides the couple unfriendly dogs who were difficult to see until they were at ankle knawing range, the ride home was very serene and complimented by distant lightning that helped illuminate the asphalt in front of me.

A couple updates on the bungalow front: I upgraded a couple weeks ago to a slightly larger bungalow (double bed compatible) and most importantly one that has a hammock on the deck. I am still in the same cluster, but now a little farther from the road which does reduce the car noise and increase the jungle sounds (currently dominated by cicadas). One moring before we went to work, Jo and I were interrupted from a morning cup of coffee by some commotion in a pond behind our bungalows. It turned out a neighbor had called in the local snake expert to help untangle this young boa constrictor from some fish nets.

The jungle theme is still foreign to this mountain man, but amazing in its abundancy to support life and I continue to gain new admiration for its beauty. I am very content but thinking I could stay content while also relishing in some snowy mountains later this season! The time of year and the fact I recently revised the India ski articles have me thinking there is no reason to miss skiing all together this year (thanks to many friends who have questioned my sanity when I stubbornly thought a high alpine visit could detract from my cultural experience here).

To those back in the US of A, have a Happy Turkey Day!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Powered by FeedBurner

Blogarama - The Blog Directory